Friday, May 20, 2005

Some of my favorites: Home Education Resources

I know when I started homeschooling years ago I was reading everything and anything I could get my hands on about homeschooling. The pickin's weren't quite as bountiful as they are now. (Thinking about some of the articles I've seen trying to connect homeschoolers and abuse, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.) But I was really grateful for the homeschoolers who let me pick their brains.

I waded through a lot of home education magazines and read every inch of the catalogs I ordered then. The catalogs were free and offered a lot of useful information in their descriptions of the products.

I did settle on a magazine that's stayed a constant for me. Home Education Magazine always has great pictures on their cover and their articles are diverse and always interesting. The latest cover reminds me of my 19 year old when he was a curly haired little guy and we were visiting New Salem.

This newsletter from Jane Boswell just popped into my inbox and there are some good articles in it.

HEM also has a news commentary and a monthly support groupnewsletter. Ann Lahrson-Fisher has great feedback regarding the different articles and written a good book or two. Mary Nix has some really interesting and timely interviews each month. April's interview was with the support group in NC that had been attacked by a now fired police officer during their play group time. That incident gave me chills imagining that very scenario occurring at our Thursday playgroups

|
Homeschool Legislation Watch
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]