Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Catching Up

Where does the time go? I was hoping to participate in the Carnival of Homeschooling and then we all got sick. We were sick after Christmas so I decided we'd take an extra week off to enjoy ourselves. Then we were really sick and decided that we wouldn't survive another vacation week. Yesterday we jumped back in.

It's that time of year when I evaluate what is working and what is not. For my seventh grader I'm thrilled with Steps to Good Grammar by J. Weston Walch Publisher. We've tried it all and this is the first thing that has truly worked for her. Sequential Spelling is also working for her. I'm using the Story of the World with both the 7th grader and the 2nd grader. That was money well spent. I've learned so much that I didn't know or didn't remember. I use Singapore Math and I love it. We just finished primary with the 7th grader and are moving on. I took it slow and used tons of supplements that Singapore puts out.

In the second grade material class, I'm still happy with Miquon math. I also use Singapore Primary Math with it. I love First Language Lessons and I've read that there is a second book coming out. I was resistant to the format of that book for a long time. I finally bought it because nothing else was working and it has worked fantastic for my second homeschooler. We use a workbook from Sam's for Reading, I think it's the Complete Book of Reading.

Goals for 2006:
1. Work on writing
2. Do more formalized science
3. Try to keep better records (I fall off the bandwagon every year)

I'm going to try and post goal updates each month to keep myself honest.

|
Homeschool Legislation Watch
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]